Community Supported Agriculture
What is a CSA?
Community Supported Agriculture, or "CSA's" as they are known, provide an avenue for individuals to support local farms and ensure sustainability for years to come. Consumers purchase a share of a seasonal harvest, directly from a regional farm creating a win/win for all involved. Local farms are able to plan for an ample harvest while members reap the benefits by having a continuous supply of healthy produce to sustain their families.
How it works:
Members purchase a share (8 weeks or 15 weeks) of the years harvest before the season starts and then enjoy weekly pickups at their chosen location during the growing season and subsequent harvest. There is normally an ample supply of fresh, whole foods, including herbs, greens, root vegetables, fruit, and some local surprises here and there.
SEEKING INTERN FOR 2018
We are launching a comprehensive permaculture plan for the garden expansion in Bethany in addition to high tunnel and established gardens in Prospect. We will be offering a soil clinic and teaching permaculture principles, whole food cooking, and herbal medicine basics. We are looking for a full time intern working from April through September. If you would like to help us, we will do the best to share our knowledge and resources.
Bodhichitta Farms seeks a self-motivated, dedicated, observant individual to intern for the spring and Summer CSA season. As an assistant to the Farm Manager you will grow organic produce for the CSA. You will be responsible for supervision of part-time garden helpers and management of packing CSA baskets as well as implementing a crop plan. There will be greenhouse work, transplanting, weeding, bed preparation, harvesting, working with irrigation systems, record keeping, and running community days.
Straitsville Road and Carrington Road Gardens Duties
- Work closely with the Farm Director to follow crop plan.
- Plan weekly and daily tasks for part-time helpers.
- Report noted deficiencies and manage irrigation in greenhouses.
- Keep garden free from weeds.
- Pack weekly CSA baskets according to roster.
- Knowledge of plants and herb identification.
- Knowledge of insect and disease identification.
- Prior work outside and possession of proper gear to do so.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Knowledge of hand tools and how to use them in the garden and for basic repairs and maintenance.
- Detailed oriented and confident in communication.
- Room and Board
- Own garden plot for your own project if desired
- Partial stipend at end of Spring CSA
- Additional stipend at end of Summer CSA
- Option to stay on for winter growing season and Fall CSA with pay.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Whitney Miller-Caporaso, ND at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28th.
Become a Member
At bodhichitta, we offer full seasonal shares (15 weeks), short seasonal shares (8 weeks) and various early and late seasonal add-ons. Members can choose from the following 3 pick-up locations on the date and times specified:
- At the farm in Bethany: Sunday 8am-10am or Friday 5pm-7pm
- Cheshire, CT across from the high school Monday 5pm-6pm
- Westville, CT Edgewood Avenue Friday 6pm